Mold Inspection and Mold Testing Charlotte NC
CDA Environmental, LLC (CDA) can provide a reliable mold inspection in Charlotte, NC and surrounding metro areas. CDA is able to perform mold testing that can identify both visible and hidden active mold growth problems located within structures. Our mold inspector collect non-viable and viable air samples as well as mold swab/tapelift samples for third party analysis depending on clients need and building specific issues. CDA also composes mold inspection reports that identify the moisture source and delineate the extent of the mold impact. The mold inspection reports also include remediation protocols that detailed the activities to be performed by the remediation contractor and post remediation clearance sampling requirements.
Where can Mold be found?
Mold is a fungi that can grow on virtually any organic substance as long as the moisture and oxygen conditions are met. When excessive moisture accumulates in buildings or on building materials, mold growth will often occur, especially if the moisture accumulation remains unaddressed. Although mold can never truly be eliminated, it can be maintained indoors by controlling moisture levels.
Where does the moisture for mold growth come from?
Moisture for mold growth can come from multiple sources. The sources include condensation, poor grading, floods, plumbing leaks, and roof leaks. Additionally, there are numerous mold species that can use high humidity as a moisture source. In the Charlotte Metro Area and the southeast, many crawlspaces contain active mold growth that colonize during the high humid summer months.
Can mold growth in crawlspace impact indoor air quality?
Mold growth in a crawlspace can impact indoor air quality through the HVAC systems located in the crawlspace. Mold spores enter the HVAC system on the return side through leaks ductwork. Mold growth in the crawlspace can also impact indoor air quality through the subflooring due to pressure differentials. Mold spores can enter a structure through cracks in the subflooring, baseboards, and around plumbing access points.
Why is Mold hazardous?
Molds produce tiny spores that can become airborne as part of the reproductive activities. The mold spores can be extremely difficult to filter out and can stay suspended in the air for lengthy periods of time.
This allows the spores to be inhaled, which can lead to:
- Headaches and/or fever
- Skin rashes
- Coughing, wheezing
- On-going flu like symptoms
- Asthma attacks
- Allergic reactions
Numerous mold species are able to produce toxins if adequate food sources are available. People vary in their individual sensitivity to the concentration of spores in the air. Children, elderly people, and individuals with compromised immune systems are the most vulnerable to the negative health effects of exposure to mold spores. Healthy people can have reactions to high concentrations of mold spores and mycotoxins during extended periods of exposure.